Bonjou! Koman ou ye? (Good morning! How are you?)
Haitian Creole is one of the easier languages to learn and it’s lots of fun! It’s a simple language — no genders and very little conjugations! It’s always good to have at least a few basic words and phrases under you belt before you visit like, Bondye beni ou! This is “God bless you” — pronounced bond-jay beni-oo, or as the Haitians do blending the last two words together: bond-jay benyoo.
- We highly recommend Pimsleur Audio Books (also available at Audible.com)
- Words & Phrases Charts
- Haiti Hub – extensive online lessons
- Mango Languages – Online learning and apps
- Sweet Coconuts – Resource and Learning site
- Pronunciation Guide – Get familiar with how letters are pronounced in Kreyòl
- There are a couple apps available that are good learning aids. This one has flip cards and speaks the pronunciation. Search your app store.
To whet your appetite…